Saturday, May 26, 2012

Obsessed about naan 饢

The staple of Xinjiang, China, naan can be seen anywhere the Uyghur lives. Much like the baguette in France, I saw people carrying naan everywhere. Because of the dry air, naan can be kept for a long time without going stale, best for long distance traveler, like me, to always have a naan around. And they are cheap, cost about 2-3 Yuan ($0.30-$0.50) a piece.



A stack of naan can be the gift for baby shower or visiting friends. For me, they do taste good, but after 3 days, some of them turned to be very hard or chewy, I have to worry about chipping a tooth, now that would be a very expensive naan.

This is the most popular naan, with size like a medium pizza, even with bone!!


In Kashi.  The dough comes from behind the plastic sheet. This guy makes the pattern and the bone,  and control the pit.






Surprised to find this naan pit in modern Urumqi. It was the wonderful  smell first caught my attention.  It was dinner time, and I was delighted to take a picture of this awesome pit.

In Hotan market. This naan is made from corn.


This kind looks like bagel, I haven't got a chance to try it yet.

Naan comes with different size, shape, ingredients, and hardness.


At Opal Monday Market, a small village outside of Kashi.
The naan pit in the Turpan neighborhood.  First I thought it's a well, then found the smoke blacken wall. Ah!
饢坑

No comments:

Post a Comment